Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Why this Blog

About twenty years ago I spent six weeks as a car salesman.  I had just abandoned the masters degree in counselling that I was working on and really needed a job.  I convinced the dealer that I could sell cars, so he hired me.  Clearly, I was mistaken.  I didn't realize it at the time but I wasn't succsesful nor would I ever be due to the fact that I didn't believe in the product or the process.  Instead, I just quit and decided that I wasn't a salesman.  Twenty years later I have come to realize that I do have a product that I believe in so very much that I want to share it and for free.  The product is Fatherhood. and not just fatherhood but Adoptive Fatherhood.  With that in mind the goal of this blog is twofold, first to inform and secondly to persuade. 

There are hundreds of websites that you can go to for information about adoption, and I will certainly provide links to several of those sites over the weeks and months to follow.  Some of those sites will tell you about the 65 million and counting orphans living (sometimes dying) around the world.  You can learn about the events that cause so much suffering in these children, such as wars, disease, famine etc.  You can learn about domestic adoption, foreign adoption, foster care, and adoption agencies etc.  However, with this blog my goal is to create a window into which you can view my experience as the father of four (and counting) adoptive children.  I'm not doing this because I think we are the most interesting or entertaining family, but rather I want to share with you the joy that is Adoptive Fatherhood.

I'm going to be up front with you the reader and say that once I have informed you about adoptive parenting I hope to convince you to get more involved in the lives of orphaned children.  I hope that you will be moved to support an orphanage or a ministry that works with orphans.  Perhaps you know or will meet a family who can use your moral or financial support as they raise their adoptive children.  But my biggest hope for this blog is that at least one family will read it and take the plunge into adoption.  My wife and I have taken the road less travelled and we have been blessed beyond our wildest dreams.  I think that's what happens when you trust in Christ and step out of the boat.

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment